Saturday, May 30, 2009

What do you do when five kids want to sit by you at once? It worked with three, one on the lap and one on each side. It’s a little hard to explain to the original three that the most recent two need a turn, too.

My neighbor asked me the other day if I felt overwhelmed. I pondered for a minute and said no. I was still in shock. Only a few minutes later when, “mom, mom,” was coming from five different direction I determined I was officially overwhelmed.

When I had three yelling, “mom, mom, mom” at one time I could at least understand them and be understood. It’s a whole different ball game when mom is followed by what sounds like, “blah, blah, blah.” Following my hospital experience I developed an anxiety surrounding the Russian language, especially when spoken by middle age women. I’m trying really hard not to let that happen with the girls.
Lucy, never too far from Preston's side.

Having just recently come from Ukraine and feeling the frustration that comes with not understanding a word I can only imagine what these girls feel. I at least knew my visit was temporary. I wondered if there was anyone they would miss or if they would be homesick. My question was answered the other day when both Lucy and Karina sobbed for over an hour. I asked them what was wrong and they pointed to a picture of a boy in their class and cried harder. This was no fake cry either, it was a heart wrenching, inconsolable cry.

Lucy came upstairs the other morning very upset. She explained to me through her tears what was wrong. Something about Karina Sotnikova, not Karina Mary Bunch. Internet, not America. I asked, “Karina Ukraine, not America?” “Da, Da.” Karina likes to provoke Lucy. Lucy wanted me send Karina back to the orphanage in Ukraine. When I told her no she ran out and slammed the door.

I’m not sure the average American looks forward to the daily retrieval of mail. But to these two girls it’s like Christmas everyday. How are we so lucky to get magazines and postcards nearly everyday? And the phone ringing couldn’t be more exciting. Lucy answered the phone one day. I was ok with that since it was a sales call. “Blah, blah, blah,” uproarious laughter, then “Lucy Liuba Bunch.” It didn’t take long for the person to hang up. How often do you get hung up on by a sales person?
Karina getting her ears pierced. Lucy had hers done when she was here in the fall.

I had a hard time getting started today. Lucy could see I was upset. A few minutes later I heard dishes clattering in the kitchen. I took a peek. She was cleaning the kitchen. She washed the dishes, wiped the counters and swept the floor. I gave her a big hug and told her thank you. She must’ve liked that. She went through the entire upstairs straightening up. She even folded the laundry. Every few minutes she came in my room for a hug and a thank you. She did the dishes and swept twice today. I know as a mom you’re not supposed to have favorites and I’m not saying I do but today Lucy and I were friends.

We’ve had a few rough nights. I’m not sure what time the girls went to bed in the orphanage but they are definitely not accustomed to retiring while it’s light. When I say “Shpat” I inevitably get, “no, mom. Utra.” Meaning it’s light, with a finger pointed to a window. But, one thing I’m good at. That is recognizing my threshold. It’s really better for everyone involved if we not cross that. We’ve had more than one talk about not saying, “no, mom.” Instead, we say, “ok, mom.” I haven’t gotten through yet. Do you think I ever will?
Do you think they want long hair. These wigs were gifts from the Rast girls. They wore them all day, including to a dance recital.

Preston and Lucy have established a truce. If she kisses softly he usually doesn’t complain. If Lucy is coming at him and he really can’t take it he says, “no kisses” and holds up his hands. They like to play the “I love you” game. Lucy starts with, “I love you, Preston.” Preston says, “I love you, too.” They go back and forth several times. Lucy has become reconciled to the fact that Preston loves more than just her. On the way home from the airport she started to sob. I asked what was wrong and she said, “Preston liub lu Karina.” Preston had told Karina he loved her. I did the best I could at explaining it was ok. He still loved Lucy. She quieted down after that.

Remember the swollen cheek? Well we scheduled and emergency visit at the dentist office and guess what? The tooth had fallen out. I didn't even know. I looked that one time and didn't look again. It must've fallen out in the orphanage. No wonder the swelling went away. I guess our prayers were answered.

Preston donning Lucy's gift from the dentist.

The dentist office was a bit tramatic. All they did was take a few xrays of Lucy's mouth. I wonder if she's ever been to the dentist. There weren't any other immediate problems so we decided to wait a couple of months until she can understand a little more. There were a few tears but a toy from a special box cheered her right up. As we were leaving she even threw out an, "I love you" and blew a kiss.

As you can see we’re trying to call Liuba, Lucy. We’re having a hard time. I thought if I write her as Lucy I will become more used to it.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Whew! I don't know about you but I just can't wait until we can have a conversation that does not involve pantomiming, sound effects and guessing on everyone's part.

The Willie's said...

They are so cute, I love reading about your experiences with your sweet family of 5! I hope you are adapting ok and not having to much stress with the transition.
I wish I lived closer so we could spend more time together. I am here if you need someone to vent to just give me a call
Love Nancy

Jen said...

Oh, sounds fun! I can't wait...I think. They are all so cute. Hang in there.

Lori said...

Wow, you have a little maid now, cleaning and doing dishes? Sorry I didn't read this earlier. Can I borrow her for a day?

Andreas said...

You are like us - you get the whole summer to figure out what to do each day to fill up the time and provide a little learning every day. Don't you love it? Make sure you give yourself a break and slip away for some time to yourself, even if just for a few minutes to catch your breath. You're an amazing family for doing so much for these girls.