My internet card doesn't work here in Crimea. Fortunately there is an internet cafe down the road from our house. I hope to be able to post often but am not sure it will be everyday.
We are staying a couple of blocks from the coast. It is beautiful here, a nice change from Dniprodzerzhynsk. There are vineyards and narrow winding streets. I feels Mediterranean.
Anyone who know me knows I do not deal well with spiders, although I have gotten better with the years. Last night before going to bed we turned on the light and found two scorpions. Thankfully Melba is made of tough stuff. She got them without even a flinch. Then we went into the bedroom and found three spiders. What would I do without her? Natashia asked the owner today about the scorpion. He assured us they aren't poisonous. Hmmm. I don't think I'll take any chances. But hey, that might be the perfect ending to this adventure of mine. You know in the movies, just when you think things couldn't get worse, they do...
Today is Liuba's birthday. When I picked her up from the orphanage one of the first things she told me was that her birthday was on Tuesday. She wanted a birthday party with presents, cake and ice cream. She has been talking about it nonstop. Natashia managed to find a place that does birthday parties. It is right next door to where we live.
We spent the morning buying birthday presents. We told the girls they needed to buy small things because we don't have much room. They came back with a plethora of gifts. Wrapping was more a problem. But Melba being the wonderful and creative person that she is thought of the tinfoil I brought from America. Perfect!
It ended up being a first-rate party. From moment we walked into the door until the moment we left we were fed and entertained. We were greeted by an accordian player and before we could enter the girls had to guess what they were eating for lunch. Then in order to go upstairs to eat we had to say nice things about Liuba, one compliment per stair. My favorite was from Karina who said Liuba needs to obey her mom. Funny coming from Karina since the girl does not obey herself.
Natashia thought is was fitting for Liuba to eat shishkabob (sp?) for her birthday so that was what she ordered. We ate, sang, danced, played games, opened presents and had cake and ice cream. When they asked me if I wanted ice cream and cake I said yes. What is a birthday without cake and ice cream? It must not be customary here. They served ice cream alone, played some games and then had birthday cake.
I have never experienced a birthday quite like this. When I can post pictures you will understand why. It was great!
Thanks to all of you for your out pouring of love and support. It is helpul to have so many of you caring and praying for me. Until now I have not understood completely the emotions that come with something like this. Now in one more aspect I can more fully understand the lot of womanhood. This has been very hard for me. I know in the end everything will turn out but that doesn't make it hurt any less right now. One thing right now I find comfort in is having Melba, Amy and her girls here to help me with me and mine.

3 comments:
Sounds like a fun birthday!
I'm glad too that you have your friends with you to comfort you and see you through. Today be happy and celebrate your "Mom Power" ...and all the blessings that go along with it!!! You rock Jewels!!
I'm so glad you're out of "ZerSTINK" I wish I had memories of nice parts of Ukraine. I think it's awesome that you and Amy have traveled and seen more than Kiev and Dnipro.
Hope your week speeds by and that you don't find anymore scorpions...ughh!
To our dear Julee, We pray daily for you to feel Heavenly Father's peace and comfort. That was an interesting scorpion story. I'm surely glad there is a brave person there. Please wish Luiba Happy Birthday from us, and please tell the girls how excited we are to meet them. Tell then we will have a party to celebrate! Are you calling Luiba "Lucy"?? Much Love, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment