Irina and Oleg picked us up at 3:30 a.m. to go to the airport. It was bright enough as we left Kiev that I could see the landscape. I couldn’t believe I was leaving. Nearly six weeks ago I wondered what in the world I was doing and thought it would never end. I was homesick for my kids and home while I was still packing to go. I never expected I would feel the way I did as I left. I’m sure it was a combination of all that happened since my arrival. I did not expect it to be such an intimate and life changing experience.

There are many things I will miss, primarily the people. There are many things I will not miss, primarily the dirtiness and other people. Like the man we were detained by at customs, he did it on purpose. Even after our names were called several times on the intercom he still took his sweet time. He even had a smirk on his face. I thought we would miss our flight for sure. We would have if the flight attendant hadn’t come looking for us. I was sad to be leaving but I also didn’t want to stay for even one more day.


There are many things I will miss, primarily the people. There are many things I will not miss, primarily the dirtiness and other people. Like the man we were detained by at customs, he did it on purpose. Even after our names were called several times on the intercom he still took his sweet time. He even had a smirk on his face. I thought we would miss our flight for sure. We would have if the flight attendant hadn’t come looking for us. I was sad to be leaving but I also didn’t want to stay for even one more day.

Irena and Oleg dropping us off at the airport.
Liuba, Lena and Karina were seated together on the plane. I was out as soon as the plane took off. When I woke up Melba told me the girls had ordered coffee for breakfast. I didn’t even know I had food in front of me, let alone they drank coffee. Oh dear.
Liuba had been saving her gryvnas and kopecs for days. When we got to Germany she wanted to buy something. She was a little dismayed to discover her money was no good here. Liuba’s pockets were always bulging with trinkets, gadgets and kopecs. She set off the alarms at security in Germany. We waited for probably five minutes for her to empty and reload her pockets, all that saving for nothing. Once we landed in Chicago she asked for her ten American dollars. I’m afraid we won’t be following through with that ritual in the States.

Liuba refilling her pockets after security.
We were hungry when we got to Chicago and stopped for a snack. I asked what they wanted. They chose a banana and chips. I asked if they wanted a muffin. It was unrecognizable and they said no. Poor things. Nothing looks the same, sounds the same or tastes the same. They are in for a big change. And having just come from that same situation I can totally empathize.

Other than the coffee and a fist fight between Liuba and Karina over the air somewhere between Colorado and SLC our day was uneventful, though very long.
I hardly know how to feel about finally being home. I feel so dazed but so happy. Thanks to everyone who came to the airport. It was so good to see all of you. And thank you so much for all of your support and prayers. We couldn’t have survived without them. Spacibo, spacibo, spacibo.

No comments:
Post a Comment