Monday, May 4, 2009

I’m alive and the lice are hopefully no longer kicking. I hope its safe to say at this point that I had lice and no longer have lice. I have no idea who I got it from. It’s prevalent at the orphanage and I have been around any number of kids carrying it. I knew there was a problem with it but was completely oblivious that I might become a host. Naïve American. The other day when I asked for Liuba I was told she was being checked for lice. I didn’t think about it again. When Mary found it in my hair I didn’t believe her. My emotional state is in a fine balance and this momentarily pushed me over the edge. But hey, this just adds to the excitement of my adventure. Doesn’t Indiana Jones always have to deal with some sort of disgusting insect or reptile?

Gratefully, I was able to escape the lovely Dniprodzerzhynsk for a few days. Natasha was taking Amy, her girls and Mary to Odessa and I decided to tag along. I am so glad I did. I feel rejuvenated to resume the remainder of my excursion in Ukraine.

We took the Friday night train. I shared a compartment with two men. My stomach turned over from the reek when I walked in but they were nice and helped me with me luggage. Sometimes when in a room infiltrated with an unpleasant aroma one becomes accustomed to it and no longer noticed it. This was not to be one of those nights. I’m not sure who was smoking and where but between the overwhelming smell of body odor and second-hand smoke it was not the case for me. It was destined to be a long night.

We met Natashia the train station in Odessa. While we were waiting for her we went to McDonalds. There are a few reason I have come to believe a one-world government would be nice, or at least convenient: money and language. However, I have learned if we cannot have a common language there are least a few universal words—Big Mac, fries and Coca Cola. If your ever alone and a foreign land and need just one person to understand go to McDonalds. It might help you feel better.

Odessa is beautiful, a sight for sore eyes. It’s funny how quickly you can become acclimated to what at first seems unlivable. When I came to Kiev the first time I was shocked at the state of the city, mostly the outskirts. I thought surely most of these buildings were condemned. Then I spent some time in Dniprodzerzhynsk. When I came back to Kiev I was amazed at how beautiful and well kept it is.

We stayed near the sea in a surprisingly nice area. The gated homes were large and fresh. The yards were well kept. There was even road construction, unheard of. I teased with Natashia this was the mafia’s neighborhood. She agreed. We stayed in a mafia’s guest home. There was a huge guard dog, thankfully on a chain. When we lost power in the night the Babooshka even made us breakfast—gracious hosts.

The first day we walked and walked. Natashia wanted to show all the sights and we only had one day. The second morning we walked to the sea. It was freezing but this did not keep Natashia from taking a swim. She loves adventure and activity. I don’t think there is anything she hasn’t done. Does anyone know any available single guys? I would love to get her to the states.

To prepare for our ten-hour train ride back we picked up some fruit and Mary and I went to McDonalds for lunch. I’m not sure if people know what lines are here. Whoever can make there way to the front first is next in line. By the time I figured this out we had about fifteen minutes to make our train. I took a head start with some of the food, Mary would follow. I found Natashia, slightly frantic, in the train station. She told me to go get the others on the corner where we left them. I went but they weren’t there. Natashia had found them when I came back. Just as we were about to dash for the train the bag holding the fruit broke and apples, bananas and oranges rolled in ever direction.

When waited on the platform for Mary but she was not to be seen. Natashia went to find our car and Amy went to find Mary. A minute later Mary arrived with no Amy. Natashia called, “we have three minutes. Hurry.” Mary ran with her McDonalds bag yelling for Amy. Everyone stared. Finally they returned together. We each took a bag and ran. Again, fruit flew everywhere. Onlookers, and there were many, came to the rescue. With our fruit, McDonalds and luggage again in tow we ran again, finally coming to our car. When we were safely on board we laughed until we cried. Crazy Americans.

I have successfully avoided public restrooms up until the last few days. After making a trip to the water closet during our layover in Germany I determined this surpassed my threshold. I wasn’t able to hold out during the ten-hour train ride, try as I might. Oh dear. It’s interesting to watch the tracks under the train as it rushes on, through a hole in the floor. After inquiring about what happen when you flush, Natashia explained that the contents in the toilet are passed through a hole onto the tracks. Oh… that is why the bathroom is closed within thirty minutes of stopping in Kiev. This isn’t the case in the smaller towns.

I talked to Liuba and Karina yesterday. They called from Lena’s phone. There were sad I wasn’t there but Leslie has a flower crusade planned for today. She is going to take some flower clips she made and have the kids distribute them in the city to try to get some smiles. Tomorrow she is initiating a liter campaign complete with signs encouraging people to keep their town clean. This should go great with the big signs all over with a picture of a mother holding a newborn, asking them not to leave their babies. Go get ‘em Leslie.

I thought I packed the cable for my camera but I must not have. So I will post pictures when I get back to Dniprodzerzhynsk. I am planning to take the girls from the orphanage on Thursday after my ten days are up. They are so excited as am I. I can’t wait to give them a bath and de-lice, if necessary. Thankfully, Mary brought plenty of lice shampoo. I will not be going back to Constantine’s place. I cannot have the girls there so I am going to stay at the hotel, which should have been cheaper. But, I just found out I can’t get the rate the Strader’s did. So my lodging for the next couple of weeks is still up in the air.
Sorry to leave you all hanging. With the electricity out and going from place to place I haven’t been able to get on-line. Thanks again for your support and prayers.

5 comments:

Lobos Family said...

I am surprised you even thought you could go ten hours without going to the bathroom, pregnant woman! I had to go at least every hour when I was pregnant!

I will be adding lice shampoo to my list of items to take with us...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy said...

Lice! Ugh...I was so afraid of that. I had Amy check mine and Alex's hair about five times!
You are a brave woman being there alone. I was alone too but not pregnant! My hats off to you!
When you write about Constantine I am right there with you.
I hope your time will go fast, it will help to have room mates! At least you're on the downhill side. It's so nice to take the children home and bath them and put them in clean clothes.
Keep writing, I've been a slacker making comments as my time has been so limited with the million of things I've needed to do to get caught up here-and I'm still not even close to "on top of my game". But I do check often!
Sounds like a fun trip to Odessa. Nice to know that there is some beauty there-just not in Dniprozerzink!
Wendy

The Willie's said...

Oh my lice!!! I would have died! That sounded like a fun time you had. That will be fun to have the girls be with you.

When you say Amy and Mary are you talking about Mary and Amy from here?? I am guessing so. I didn't know that Mary was going to be there too, Wow!
That's good you got a little fun time to keep you going.
Love you

mcp said...

Dear Julee, I was very glad to hear from you and happy to know that you hadn't disappeared from the face of the earth. Interesting lice story!! If it makes you feel any better, Aunt Judy had bed bugs once! Very, very tramatic. Be safe, and tell Luiba (Lucy) and Karina that we are going to have a WELCOME party for them. I love you, Mom Be soooo happy when you are home.