Sunday, April 12, 2009

We made it, twenty-five hours after leaving. Kiev is nine hours ahead of Utah. Our night lasted four hours on the plane. It was kind of funny to be served breakfast only four hours after dinner. Needless to say we did not get any sleep. My stomach was not happy with this. Between that and the driving to our flat I was lucky I didn’t lose my lunch.

As we were waiting for our luggage a man came up and said, “luggage?” We said yes he proceeded to write a number on a paper and showed it to us. Dave nodded. So the man grabbed our luggage and put it on the cart for us. I had to explain to Dave that he wanted us to pay him. As we were leaving security a grim security guard pulled us to the side. He was very KGB looking. He asked why we were in Ukraine and how much money we had. Dave told him we were here to adopt and then said we were carrying half the amount we were really were. He looked disappointed and said, “Ok” and let us go.

Our translator and adoption facilitator met us and drove us to our flat in City Center, Kiev. Thank goodness we have someone who knows what we are supposed to do and where we need to be. I can’t make sense of the driving. They don’t use blinkers and there aren’t lines on the roads distinguishing lanes. They don’t wear seat belts and there are potholes everywhere. Thankfully for our safety and my stomach, our facilitator didn’t drive too crazy.

They also park however they can which mostly is on the side walk.



There were a lot of people out today. It is Easter but about eighty percent here are Orthodox and will celebrate Easter next week. People everywhere were carrying willow branches. I’m going to try and find out why tomorrow.

Our flat is cozy and pleasant. It’s old and sparse but the toilet flushes and there is heated and running water. This is the outside of our flat.



I’ll have to take a picture of the elevator. It is old and rickety and only fits two at a time. Yikes.

We went to the food court for dinner tonight. After looking at the many choices nothing looked familiar or appetizing to me so we ate at McDonalds. Dave was worried about ordering but I asked for a cheeseburger and fries and we came out ok. There were two McDonalds to choose from and both were at least three times as packed as any other restaurant. The mall is built under what our translator told us was “Revolutionary Square.” I think she said the Ukrainian Revolution was fought here. I am going to clarify tomorrow.
This is just one angle of the square.



If I could think of one word to describe Kiev it is “old.” The buildings are either old and run down or old, beautiful and rich with history. At home Emi and I like to talk about what other buildings and people existed and lived where we do now. It’s so easy to just think we are it unbreakable. But feeling the atmosphere here, seeing the history and considering the cycles in history reminds me that this is a volatile world.

Dave asked our translator, Natalia, today about the economy in the Ukraine. She shook her head and replied its better not to talk about. A little later we saw a group of demonstrators, I think they were dressed in black. We asked what it was all about and Natalia just shook her head. I can’t tell if she is ashamed to tell us or doesn’t want to scare us.

Tomorrow morning is our appointment with the State Department of Adoption, SDA. I think we will also do some sight seeing. If all goes as planned we are taking the train to the orphanage on Tuesday night. Natalia says it is better than driving because you can lie down and sleep. I think its better than driving because the driving is crazy.

12 comments:

Wendy said...

Julee! I'm so glad you're here! And thanks for inviting me to view your blog! (I'm your first follower!) Enjoy Kiev, it's much better than here. Trust me!
You'll be staying at my place and I'll be moving to the "scary" apartment where they'll allow children. My cell phone is 805-995-41249. Enjoy the train ride!
Wendy

BigEd said...

What an adventure! I think what you are doing is marvelous, and congratulations on the little bundle you have inside and the not so little one you plan to bring home. So good to hear from you and will look forward to the updates.

Andreas said...

Dave and Julee - We're so glad you arrived safely. We wanted to congratulate you on your little surprise package. :)Thanks for starting a blog -- one more family's journey we can follow.

katie and co. said...

Dave and Julee,
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your little bun in the oven! We are so excited for you and your growing family! Secondly, you are an inspiration and example to all of us. We have often thought about your visit a few months ago and have wondered how things were coming along with Liuba. We are thrilled that you are actually there and all of this is becoming a reality. We admire you in so many ways and can't wait to continue to check in with you are on this marvelous journey!

McKay Esplin said...

I am so glad to be able to follow you on your adventure. I am glad you are there with friends from home. Congratulations on both of your new babies. Life will be busy, but really good. You guys are great. McKay

Jami said...

Julee - my head is spinning. SOOOOOOOO much to catch up on. A baby and an adoption - how exciting!!!!! We have a LOT to talk about when you get home! Safe travels!

Evecall said...

WOW! Julee, I had no idea you were doing all of this! What an adventure! I cant wait to hear all about it and meet your two new additions. My Chloe is 10, so we should get her and Liuba together sometime!!

Nate and Gina said...

Dave and Julee! We've been thinking about you and are SO glad you made it there safely. Thank goodness for McDonald's huh? Good luck with everything and let us know if there's anything we can do to help! And, can you send your friends and family over to my house to do a baby boy nursery when they're done with your room? :) Love you!!! xoxo

Botill Family said...

Haha! I forgot about the driving! That must not agree with your stomach right now. I am glad you got there alright and are happy with where you are sleeping. That is the most important part. Good luck and we are thinking of you. Remember the Indiana Jones theme....

JLJ said...

Holy moly.

Serious life changes ahead. Congratulations! I'm excited to read your updates and find out how things work out. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Jami said...

I just checked back to see if the pictures were working and lucky me...they are!! I am AMAZED - Liuba (still want to know how to pronounce it) looks like she belongs to you guys. I can't believe how much she looks like YOU julee!

Duff said...

This is fantastic. I am very happy for you.. Hope all goes well. Dave, you do not look russian.. maybe a bottle of vodka will do that for you.. duff