There were booths selling everything from wallpaper to clothes to books to hunting knives. I was in search of sweat outfits for the girls to wear on the trip home. Thankfully we had decided to shop before we picked up the girls. Having them would’ve been a living nightmare but without them we had to guess on the size. The booths didn’t carry a variety of sizes so we had to search many booths but we finally found them.
I wanted to find sneakers for them as well but Julia was anxious to get to the school to play soccer. The straders think it has been a little hard for Julia to only be with them. These kids are used to being with their friends twenty-four/seven. I can imagine that as much as they want families it is a huge and difficult adjustment.
We were going to catch the bus to the orphanage. It’s about a mile and a half walk. Dave and I were behind the Straders and when Dave got on the bus the driver said, “niet! I tried to tell him Dave was with me but he said, “niet! There was still plenty of standing room on the bus and Dave tried to give him money but he said, “niet! So we got off the bus and walked to the orphanage. The Straders thought there was a maximum capacity but just that morning we had been on a bus packed so full you couldn’t move. Some of the drivers are so grouchy. I wonder how they choose whom to pick on? Then again, that must be a very monotonous, not to mention stinky, job. They’ve got to take it out on someone I guess. But hey, we showered today.
The orphanage is also a boarding school. There are about five hundred students. Only 120 are orphans. The rest go home on the weekends and holidays. The kids were outside playing when we arrived. Some were playing soccer, the most popular sport in Ukraine. Others were playing Red Rover. Many crowded around us trying to show off by talking to us. Some of them asked us to take them home with us. They would spread their wings like they were flying. One boy even said he would be good. Another boy did push-ups for Dave; you name it, normal push-ups, fingertip push-ups, knuckle push-ups… There are so many cute kids. Any takers?
We decided to go to lunch. Julia wanted to bring Ocsana. She is thirteen and very sweet. Liuba and Karina were as cute as ever, wolves in sheep’s clothing I think. We went to the English menu pizza place. The kids all ordered salads and loved them. Fancy that. I noticed when I first saw Liuba that her cheek was swollen. I tried to ask her if it hurt but she shook her head. I even had Julia try to ask. Julia just pantomimed that she is getting chubby because she eats too much.
I noticed she was eating slowly and carefully. Then when we asked her is she wanted ice cream she rubbed her cheek and said, “niet, fruita.” Every time she has ice cream she always gives it away, even when she was in Utah. Now I know why. I looked in her mouth and sure enough there is a gaping hole. Poor thing!It breaks my heart to know she has been suffering with this for so long. I’m going to ask Ocsana if there is something we can do about it while we are here. The state may cover it, but I’m not sure if that is a good thing.
Karina, Ocsana, Julia, Leslia, Bill, Me and Liuba
We stopped at the Strader’s hotel and played some more Skipbo. The kids wanted to watch “Ukraine talent.” Can you guess what that is? Liuba and Karina tried on their outfits and loved them. They didn’t want to change but I am happy to report that they obeyed with only a couple of frowns and “pajayiustas.” When we were getting ready to leave Liuba started to pout again. Luckily Julia was able to translate that she wanted to stay. Our mystery from yesterday is solved. I’m pretty sure she thinks that is where Dave and I are living and can’t understand why Julia gets to stay and she doesn’t. She sulked the whole way home but overall it a much happier ending.

3 comments:
I've never left comments before so I don't know if this is going to work...but WOW....Julee..WOW...I just finished reading everything, (since I just got invited)....I'm speechless..you're quite the writer. I agree with Teena, you should write a book..I can't wait for tomorrow..I also can't wait to meet these two special girls..you and Dave are quite amazing...Hey invite Katie..she wants to read it..her email is dancingqueen_6400@hotmail.com..I tried to invite her..it didn't work..well HATS OFF, good luck, be safe and we love you, your favorite aunt
Hi Dave & Julee,
As always, I enjoyed reading your update. How interesting, and a bit poigniot to consider living with a tooth problem. In addition, what a surreal thing it must be to want with all your heart to have a family to belong to, but at the same time having to adjust to so many changes...not being with the other kids, learnig a new language and on and on and on. I suppose the stresses that you face being in such an unfamilliar environment with a language and culture that are so different from the USA may mirror in part what the girls will face when they start to settle in in Utah. Change, even good change, is definitly stressful. I admire all of you, you and Dave and the girls for your courage and faith to move forward with such big changes... knowing and trusting that wonderful blessings will come along the way as well, as I am very sure they will.
May the Lord continue to be with and confort all of you,
Holly
Lori, Dave's grandmother is Elder M. Russell Ballards's first cousin. You must be related to somehow.
Post a Comment