Start your engines… pedestrians beware.
Rules for driving:
There are no rules but for convenience sake keep reading.
If late, speed and do not stop at red lights.
Do not reduce speed for any reason.
Dodge potholes at break neck speed.
See how fast you can go before you have to stop for the next stop sign.
See how close you can come to pedestrians, going full speed, without hitting them.
Lines are only for decoration.
Pass anywhere, anytime.
Park anywhere you can. It’s ok to trap cars in or park on the sidewalk.
To avoid dodging potholes, take the train. You get to breath the aroma of smoke and watch crude TV, as loud as it can go, the whole way. It’s almost as fun as riding a roller coaster. {Dave compared it to the white roller coaster at Lagoon.}
Constantine picked us up from the train station. He is the orphanage director’s son-in-law. He likes to speak English, or rather Russian with an English word here and there. When we understand him, he beams. His wife, Natashia, is a physician of some sort. She works with blood, doing transfusions or something. They are very nice. Most of the hospitals and dentists are government operated. Natalia and Natashia said you want to avoid them but private hospitals are very expensive and only those working for large companies have insurance. They said there is no incentive to get the training that is needed because they are not paid well. Only those working in private hospitals get paid well.
We are staying in Constantine and Natashia’s apartment. I’m not sure where they are staying while we are here. It is so nice of them to let us rent it. I’ll have to take pictures. I haven’t seen anything, at least in person, quite like it. I did get one picture tonight. All over the grounds here there are what looks like little roofs. Natalia told me they are refrigerators. Root cellars, I guess. Here you go Fran.
Rules for driving:
There are no rules but for convenience sake keep reading.
If late, speed and do not stop at red lights.
Do not reduce speed for any reason.
Dodge potholes at break neck speed.
See how fast you can go before you have to stop for the next stop sign.
See how close you can come to pedestrians, going full speed, without hitting them.
Lines are only for decoration.
Pass anywhere, anytime.
Park anywhere you can. It’s ok to trap cars in or park on the sidewalk.
To avoid dodging potholes, take the train. You get to breath the aroma of smoke and watch crude TV, as loud as it can go, the whole way. It’s almost as fun as riding a roller coaster. {Dave compared it to the white roller coaster at Lagoon.}
Constantine picked us up from the train station. He is the orphanage director’s son-in-law. He likes to speak English, or rather Russian with an English word here and there. When we understand him, he beams. His wife, Natashia, is a physician of some sort. She works with blood, doing transfusions or something. They are very nice. Most of the hospitals and dentists are government operated. Natalia and Natashia said you want to avoid them but private hospitals are very expensive and only those working for large companies have insurance. They said there is no incentive to get the training that is needed because they are not paid well. Only those working in private hospitals get paid well.
We are staying in Constantine and Natashia’s apartment. I’m not sure where they are staying while we are here. It is so nice of them to let us rent it. I’ll have to take pictures. I haven’t seen anything, at least in person, quite like it. I did get one picture tonight. All over the grounds here there are what looks like little roofs. Natalia told me they are refrigerators. Root cellars, I guess. Here you go Fran.
We made it to the orphanage. We met with the director first. She was here last fall with the kids. Before she came she was scared to death. Someone told her about Mormons. Luckily she loved it. The first thing she did was show us books and pictures from Utah. I showed her pictures of my kids. She, like everyone else here, says the boys look like their dad and Emi is a doll. After a few minutes we were whisked away with the school lawyer to the city building where we needed to get permission to see Liuba. We walked up eight flights of stairs, there was no “lift”. It was a very run down building, most I’ve seen here are. They had to know about our children, how big our house is and how much Dave makes a year. They were very friendly. I showed them my pictures, too. Everyone we have talked to here cannot understand why we would want to adopt when we have so many children already. Three children are a lot. Here it is nearly unheard of for one parent to be able to stay home. It is very difficult to care for children.
After, we went back to the orphanage to see Liuba. First we met with Ocsana who will help us with things from here on out. Thanks Heaven for these people who know the system and what we need to do. We really couldn’t do it without them.
After a few minutes Liuba came in. She was very excited. It was such a sweet moment. She ran over and gave us both a hug and asked where Emi, Luke and Preston were. After she calmed down Ocsana asked if she knew why we were here. “Da, da, da. Mama y papa.” She said. She also asked right off where her present was. When I called last week she must have been asking for a watch because that was what she was expecting. She really wanted one when she was in Utah, too. We told her we would look for one. She says she wants an American name and we can choose whatever we want. Oh dear, Dave and I picking out names can be disastrous. I feel a little sad about it, too, because I really like Liuba. It fits her personality and it means “love”. Ocsana reassured us we have a few days to decide. Honestly. We can’t even agree on a name after nine months. This should be interesting. Feel free to offer suggestions.
Since Liuba is over ten she has to write a statement saying she wants to be adopted. She wanted to do it right away. She spent quite some time on it saying she wanted to do it right. I don’t know what it says. That could be a little scary. It will be given to the judge.
Wendy, who is adopting ten year-old Alex, threw a birthday party for Julia tonight. Julia is being adopted by the Strader family but they couldn’t be there because they are in a different district trying to adopt two other girls from another orphanage. Julia and Lena {being adopted by the Rast’s} came and invited us. It was so good to see Lena. She also asked where Emi, Luke and Preston were. She gave me a big hug and later asked if I would do her hair tomorrow. I did it everyday while she was in Utah. She especially liked French-braids.
There were seven children there, all being or going to be adopted. It was crazy but I felt at home. It was like being with my nieces and nephews. Poor Natalia. She wasn’t sure how to handle all the chaos. For most people here, being with so many children is an anomaly. But the kids are sweet. They play well together but they all really want adult attention.
If this isn’t making sense it’s because I feel in a daze. It has been a crazy but good day. I can’t believe we are here doing this. It hasn’t and doesn’t seem real. It was so good to see Liuba. She is such a tease but she is full of love. Everyone warns us that she is hyper, and I know from the two weeks we spent with her. But I can see and feel this amazing spirit in her. She was meant for greatness and I’m excited to see her grow.
Wouldn’t you know camera was in Dave’s coat pocket at the apartment so we didn’t get pictures. What a bummer. I wish I could have recorded the moment Liuba came in.
Thanks for the email Emi, Luke and Preston. We miss you and love you so much. I gave Liuba a kiss for each of you. She was so happy

8 comments:
When I tried to look at Liuba's name backwards it sounded a lot like Abbie Lou. Only suggestion I could come up with. Good luck.
I like Liuba also. I was surprised at the spelling though. Maybe you could keep it as a middle name. Who named her and what is her story?
Okay,now I've read her story. Ive had computer problems and i'm playing catch-up when I should be in bed sleeping. Have fun, take lots of pictures and be safe.
Did you find out about the demonstrators? :)
Since you like that Liuba means "love", maybe you could find another more English sounding name that also means love. Amanda, Olivia, Mary are some. A lot of families give a new first name and have their birth name be their middle name; that is nice also. Good luck!
Whootwhoo! I have internet again and apparently you do too!
I think Lubia does fit but it might be hard for her to fit in with that name. Libby is close and short for Elizabeth and would go cute with Emi.
Just a thought!
Hope you had a great day and I didn't confuse you too much on the bus!
W
Hola!! I love reading your posts! You are amazing! I am loving all the experiences that you are having! With the names ideas, I like what Wendy said!! We are happy that averything is going well! We miss you! Love, The Losiks.
Hi Julee!
I can't believe all of your exciting news! It has been way too long since we've talked! I really have been touched reading your posts, I think it is so neat that you guys are adopting Liuba. She is a doll! She really does look like you! I was dying when I read that you are pregnant, too! Funny how things work out- I really am so happy for you. Good Luck with your amazing adventure! I will be praying for you guys!
Hey, someone posted with the same last name as us! Now that's something that doesn't happen every day. We're most likely related!
That's sweet that Liuba wanted to write that letter right away. Her mind is made up who her parents are going to be. We also like the idea of giving her a new first name and keeping Liuba as her middle name. This way, you only have to come up with 1 name. All thus far are good suggestions.
Post a Comment