Monday, April 20, 2009

I was finally able to find Katya to give her the present the family adopting her sent. She is a beautiful girl. She says she misses her family very much. I am so glad she has a family who loves her and is coming for her. She will be so excited to see them.

The day started better than it ended. The girls wanted to give us kisses and tell us they loved us. It ended with a lecture we couldn’t understand from Liuba and Karina walking away from us.

We have gone to the store with the girls nearly every day since we have been here. We haven’t stocked up on groceries like we do at home and we are always in need of something. Plus it’s something to do to kill the time. We always let the girls choose one treat. We decided today not to stop at the store. We had just taken the girls to lunch after they had already had lunch at the orphanage and decided they didn’t need anything else.

The statue of Lenin in Dniprodzerzhynsk

“Magazine?” Store, Liuba asked right as we came out of the restaurant. “Zaftra.” Tomorrow, we said. We had about a mile to walk and the begging and pouting lasted the whole way. Karina actually didn’t beg this time. I think it was more of a game with her. She followed Liuba’s lead thinking it was fun to pout and walked on ahead. Liuba would not relent. “Please, please. Just one?” Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.

This one shows Liuba's personality

It’s kind of nice not to understand what she is saying when she is pouting and whining. It’s easier to ignore her. But by the time we got to the orphanage, and we caught up with Karina, we decided something had to be done. Thank goodness for Natashia to translate. I told them at home Emi, Luke and Preston don’t get treats everyday, only on special occasions or if they earn them. And when they pout and whine they loose privileges. When they act this way we don’t want to do anything special for them. They both said ok and then Liuba walked the other way. We asked where she was going and she said, “Aren’t we going to the store now?” Oh dear.

At the orphanage a crowd of kids gathered, as usual. Dave played frisbie with a few boys and the girls and I jump roped. Liuba has a luny side and made it very difficult. She is a tease and likes to get a reaction. Karina kept getting after her. Liuba was not being very nice today. She was teasing relentlessly. I know she does it for attention but it is very trying, especially not being able to communicate with her.

A group of teenage girls gathered. The Soderberg’s Julia came also. They teased with me back and forth. One girl told me her name was a boy’s name. I told her she was beautiful for a boy. They laughed. I spoke a few of the Russian words I know and Julia told me if I want to learn Russian she will teach me tomorrow. She is a great kid.

Karina loves to take pictures. This is me saying,"Can I have the camera, please?" Notice the strained smile.

Dave was anxious to leave today. It’s surprising that these days can be so exhausting. They are not physically strenuous but they are very emotionally draining. Being in a strange place, not being able to understand or make yourself understood, getting to know two children, seeing all these kids without families, etc. is very taxing. We appreciate all your comments so keep making them. Hearing from you strengthens and sustains us.




By the way, we are now officially accepting hand-me-downs :)

12 comments:

The Willie's said...

I wonder if Karina was pouting in the top picture. She looks like she has her pouting lips on. I have shown Isabella pictures of Karina and Liuba and I was telling someone the other day about Liuba, Isabella was standing there and she said "Liuba is my cousin." That was before we found out about Karina! It was cute because I didn't know if she was taking in all that I was telling her, but apparently she was. I pray for you all every day.
Love you
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hey Julee and Dave, hang in there. We enjoy reading your blog and keeping up on everything. I remember Liuba pouting at my house when Abby took a camera away from her after it ran out of batteries. She seemed to get over it pretty quickly. Its funny she wants to see Preston so bad. I remember you telling me that she really liked Preston. Keep up the good work. We are praying for you.

Love Fran

Carlin said...

I love seeing your pictures. It makes me laugh that they love wearing their hats. I never saw any kids in baseball hats while I was there. I think it's cute. Our kids (new) were shy at first about picking out treats, Troy says its a little out of control now too. I figure it will change when they get here and settle in a bit... have some of their own things and know that there will always be food around. We found a lot of food under Ivan's bed after we hosted!

Lobos Family said...

Thank you Julee for the picture of Katya!!!

mcp said...

We love reading your blog. It is a highlight of the day. This is all so exciting and wonderful. We pray for you throughout each and every day, It gives me chills to think of what you are doing for these children - the different outcome their lives will have by receiving such a wonderful blessing through their adoption. Be safe and don't ride in any more cars. I love you, Mom

mcp said...

Charlie and Ruby have become close friends. They play a lot and often try to play with the same toy, sometimes both with it in their mouth trying to pull it away from each other. Charlie tries to keep himself between little kids and Ruby. He doesn't want to share his friends. They both sleep on the couch in our bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Dave and Julee
I think the comment above about the scarcity complex probably has a lot to do with their begging. That will take a while to work through, but it helps to know it is not necessarily due to ill-natured children. Hang in there. It sounds very taxing, especially at the begining of a pregnancy when you are so tired (at least I am). I wonder if you could engage them in some way to serve some of the children they will be leaving behind, give them a real opportunity to share. Just a thought. I really enjoyed the political economy info. BTW you are an excellent writer!
love you
Teena

Andreas said...

Dave and Julee - it sounds like the days are wearing on. We know you still have a long ways to go. We want you to know that we are here for you and soon we will know how comments on your blog help you keep your sanity when everything seems so crazy. Your blog has helped us so much as we prepare to go to Ukraine. It is the highlight of each night. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. And keep smilin'!

Lori said...

As my mom always say, "Tie a knot and hang on." I hope tomorrow is better for you.

BigEd said...

I love hearing your stories. A lot of them remind me of the time we spent in China - like the room temperature eggs and not being able to figure out what the food is. I'm sure it is exhausting to be somewhere so unfamiliar and feel such responsibility for your adorable girls, but I can't think of anything more noble or worthwhile. Good luck.

Evecall said...

When you are writing about the begging it reminds me of a little girl one of my friends brought over from Belarus for the summer. She would drive my friend crazy with her begging, so I am thinking it must be a cultural thing. I think you are handling it in a good way. I am excited for you guys and all of your new additions!

wendy said...

Your blog makes me cry every time....which to me, means you are doing things right. :)I still can't get over the bravery of leaving when u found out u were pregnant...and now u'll have 6 kids. Wow! I'm sure you will handle it perfectly.

If u run into some missionaries - my cousin is closeby. Elder Riley Miller, from Tremonton. Bless you