Preston informed me just now that his “brave” is sleeping because it didn’t eat breakfast, so I need to be quiet. What is his brave, you may ask. I wondered, too. Then it occurred to me when I want Preston to go down stairs and get something and he doesn’t want to I say, “I know you are brave. Show me.” It usually works. For future reference his “brave” needs food to function.
We were in such a hurry to get to church this morning that we left breakfast sitting uneaten on the table. Turns out, this is not such a bad idea. The kids gobbled it up when we got home and before I realized it. Did I mention it was cold oatmeal? Ugh. But hey, I didn’t have to make lunch.
Just as Preston’s brave sleeps when it doesn’t eat, Lucy’s already lacking docility goes out the door when she is sleep deprived. We had a late night on Friday and an early morning on Saturday, obviously not a good combination.
I spent a lot of time at my Grandparents in Lewiston, Ut growing up. I especially loved the fourth of July celebration. We hopped, or rather slugged, into the car at six a.m. for the hour and a half drive North. In preparation for the parade we parked across the street from what used to be my beloved Grandparent’s home. It’s so sad to see the state of what was their home for so many years. They took such immaculate care of it. But the sight, feel and even the smell of the small town flooded me with warm memories and feelings.
We started the day with breakfast put on by the local fire department; pancake, eggs, hash-browns and ham. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. Following breakfast is the parade. That was quite an experience. The average American kid will dive for candy when thrown at them. Lucy and Karina are officially American now {call them Ukrainian at your own risk.} But they are also officially Ukrainian citizens until their eighteenth birthday. Maybe it is the dual citizenship but diving does not sufficiently describe what they did. They seemed to ricochet from candy to candy at the speed of a bullet. No kid within a fifty foot radius had a chance of getting any, nor dared they try for fear of being socked {ok, this is a slight exaggeration but you catch my drift.} You would think no one at the orphanage had ever thrown candy at Lucy or Karina ;} I told them several times to gather candy only in front of our car and not to the other kid going for it. After several warnings I had to banish Lucy to car. She still managed to end up with more candy than anyone else.
We were in such a hurry to get to church this morning that we left breakfast sitting uneaten on the table. Turns out, this is not such a bad idea. The kids gobbled it up when we got home and before I realized it. Did I mention it was cold oatmeal? Ugh. But hey, I didn’t have to make lunch.
Just as Preston’s brave sleeps when it doesn’t eat, Lucy’s already lacking docility goes out the door when she is sleep deprived. We had a late night on Friday and an early morning on Saturday, obviously not a good combination.
I spent a lot of time at my Grandparents in Lewiston, Ut growing up. I especially loved the fourth of July celebration. We hopped, or rather slugged, into the car at six a.m. for the hour and a half drive North. In preparation for the parade we parked across the street from what used to be my beloved Grandparent’s home. It’s so sad to see the state of what was their home for so many years. They took such immaculate care of it. But the sight, feel and even the smell of the small town flooded me with warm memories and feelings.
We started the day with breakfast put on by the local fire department; pancake, eggs, hash-browns and ham. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. Following breakfast is the parade. That was quite an experience. The average American kid will dive for candy when thrown at them. Lucy and Karina are officially American now {call them Ukrainian at your own risk.} But they are also officially Ukrainian citizens until their eighteenth birthday. Maybe it is the dual citizenship but diving does not sufficiently describe what they did. They seemed to ricochet from candy to candy at the speed of a bullet. No kid within a fifty foot radius had a chance of getting any, nor dared they try for fear of being socked {ok, this is a slight exaggeration but you catch my drift.} You would think no one at the orphanage had ever thrown candy at Lucy or Karina ;} I told them several times to gather candy only in front of our car and not to the other kid going for it. After several warnings I had to banish Lucy to car. She still managed to end up with more candy than anyone else.
Before the parade.
About halfway through the parade.
It’s in situation like this she tells me she is not Lucy, but Liuba. And although I couldn’t understand completely, from what I could understand she was going to send me to Ukraine. On a side note… When she is happy in America, she is Lucy. When unhappy, Liuba. But even when she is Liuba, calling her Vovke {her Ukrainian surname} is an unendurable insult and always results in incessant sobbing. This is dished out by Karina, in her tormenting moods. Karina, likewise, does not like to be called Sotnikova.


One of the few pieces of candy Preston managed to grab.
It remained a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde day for Lucy. One minute it was Liuba, the next Lucy. As the day progressed she transitioned entirely to Liuba.
At the movie. Movies are two dollars and popcorn and treats are fifty cents in Lewiston.
We watched fireworks with some friends that night. I'm not sure if the girls have seen fireworks before but Karina screamed several times and hid under the blanket.
I can think of no better way to spend the fourth than in the small towns of America. Call me sentimental. I am, I can’t help it.
We went to the drive-in theater this week. I think we need a bigger car.
Karina gave Lucy a halo of flowers.
Emi at her first ballet recital.
The girls eating one of their favorite snacks. Uncooked ramen noodles.
A slumber party.














7 comments:
What a fun weekend for your family. The pics are great, especially your family cuddled in the back of your van watching fireworks. I'll bet your girls love to get together with Amy's girls.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are normally well.
Okay, so it sounds like you take Lucy/Liuba's mood swings like a real trooper. I admire you immensely. By the way, I too love small towns. We go to Logan every 3rd of July for the fireworks. Not as small as Lewiston, but it's my home town, and I'll always love it.
I'm so glad you posted! I love small town parades. We had to have the same talk with Alex about not diving for candy in front of our neighboring parade goers. Man are they fast and ferocious when it comes to candy!
Cute, cute pictures!
W
This post made me laugh and cry! You guys are SO amazing. I think you handled everything all wonderfully. By the end of this you are going to reach parenting perfection! I love the picture of you in the van with them! That's the part that made me cry!
It sounds like such a fun 4th of July. I wish I wasn't stuck in the Ukraine during it :)
I too love the picture of all of you in the van! That is so fun. We ended up having everyone put their candy in one big bucket because Ana and Victor were also a little pushy getting the candy. It seemed to work out and I can limit their candy eating... Victor and Ana can't loose any more teeth for awhile : )
Wow, I am really behind. Your kids are very cute! I loved the pictures. It looks like everyone is loving and enjoying one another. That is wonderful!
Post a Comment