You know something serious has happened when the dog is depressed. Rubee, our dog, was long overdue for a haircut when I got home. It took me a couple of weeks to get her in. When the day finally came I requested they cut her hair as short as they could. I have to say I’ve never seen a dog with such short hair. But I guess I can’t complain. They only followed my orders.
When we got home Rubee was really mopy. I didn’t think too much of it except for feeling bad I had them cut her hair so short. I had robbed her of her dignity. She probably felt naked. But she spent most of the next day in her kennel and wouldn’t eat. She wouldn’t stop shivering and had a nervous twitch. After two more days of the same behavior I took her back to the vet. Nothing was wrong. They gave her a cortisone shot and said she should perk up in twenty-four hours.
Three days later she was still the same. She cowered under the couch or stayed in her kennel. Normally she runs if she knows we are going to put her in there. She would only eat and drink from our hands and even then only if there was no distraction. The vet said to call if nothing changed. So I did and she said to bring her back in.
Turns out the grooming was the final straw. After living with my parents for six weeks, then having two new girls in the house, and finally loosing her hair… Well, she had had enough. And to make matters worse she is suffering from her first bout of PMS. Her kennel became her refuge. {Sometimes I wish there was enough room in there for me, too.} Oh dear. I was worried about the hormone level in this house after adding two preteen girls. You mean to tell me I have to worry about the dog’s hormones, too? You’ve got to be kidding me. But I guess I can't blame the poor thing. I know how I feel after a bad haircut. Combine that with wacky hormones and two Russian speaking girls, one who won't keep her hands off you and the other jumps and screams evertime you come around the corner {Lucy is afraid of dogs. Poor Rubee doesn't understand Russian either and probably thinks she doesn't like her new hair-do. I'm sure it hurts her feelings.} I didn't realize Rubee was so sensitive. But she is a female, after all.
We had a minor eruption this morning. When I heard yelling from many different voices I rushed out of the bathroom to find Luke in an arm-lock with Karina, Liuba ready to strike and Emi down for the count. They were each banished to separate rooms, primarily so I could resist the temptation to join in. While I was taking my breather Karina and Lucy came in and said, “Emi, Luke, sorry.” Meaning they wanted to say sorry. So I gathered all five of them around the computer for a good lecture with the translator {thanks for the idea Wendy.} It’s ok to be angry or frustrated but we don’t hit in this house. We don’t kick. We don’t touch out of anger, only out of love. “Understand?” Yes. If we do make a mistake we look the other person in the eye, say, “I’m sorry. I’ll try not to do it again. Will you forgive me? I love you.” Then we give the other person a hug. “Got it?” Yes. We went around the circle, each apologizing to the other. It turned out to be a good bonding moment. Who would’ve thought? Not that I recommend fighting, but if it happens why not make the most of it? {Is that a good answer to your bonding question, Jami? This post is in response to your request, after all.}
After a little encouragement from my friend and after the girl’s breaking two of our small bikes {the ones with training wheels for four year olds} and one of our neighbor’s I decided I should make getting them bikes a priority. When there are so many priorities it’s hard to decide which one to put first. I wasn’t ready to drop a couple hundred dollars right now so after a suggestion from that same friend I went to D.I. to find a couple of bikes.
When I saw the selection I almost changed my mind about dropping the money at Walmart for something new. But Lucy and Karina immediately found what they wanted and wouldn’t leave without it. These bikes were in a sad state, to say the least. But the girls couldn’t be happier. So I gave in and spent the twenty dollars for their precious bikes. I couldn’t help but think if these were my biological kids they would have had a fit at the prospect of such a thing. What’s that law? The one about diminishing returns…
I was worried when they realized their bikes weren’t as nice as the other kids they would complain. Apparently there is nothing a little paint won’t fix. Karina got out the paint the next day and touched hers up. Unfortunately, they are still riding around the toddler tractor and bikes.
There are days I wonder what in the world I have done. The kids spent a couple of days at their Grandma’s and I’m a little embarrassed to admit I was glad. I was actually able to get the one room clean that I have been trying to clean for nearly three weeks. I was so thankful to have some peace and quiet. I wondered if I really even loved my kids. I determined I do love them individually but when you get them all together… Well, there are just so many of them and they’re so noisy.
In the chaos of the day-to-day living I don’t have time to think about how hard this really is. I get so caught up in trying to take care of everything emotional, physical and spiritual for these five kids. The process of providing for theirs consumes the whole of mine and there is simply no time or energy left to spend worrying about how hard this is. There is a huge language barrier causing stress not only for the two imports but for the originals as well. Needless to say there is a lot of emotional tension in the air. I guess it’s a good thing there is always so much going on because there is no time to brood and agonize over this. All I can do is take a moment and day at a time and do the best I can. It was only in my two-day break that I was able to question the sanity of this decision. However, I am relieved to rediscover in the days that have followed their return that I do indeed love them. I am glad to have them home, all of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh Julee....
It would be tough (and it is tough here too on days!) I just keep telling myself to be patient, he'll learn, he'll communicate, give it time.
Your poor little dog, who would have guessed. Our animals ignore Alex, he'll call and call and they just act like they can't hear him. He is bonding with the cat only because he captures her and pets her until she settle's down. But the minute he releases her-she's out of there!
See you Thursday. We need Save A PARENT therapy!
Wendy
Thanks for the update. I can only imagine how hard it is. Somedays I can barely handle my THREE kids.
Hang in there. You are an amazing woman!
Hang in there. It's got to get better eventually. I delivered the gifts to Lena and Oksana. They were lost with my luggage for quite a while, but they eventually made it.
Our dog likes to play with the kids for a bit and then he is done... both the girls can't get enough of him though, so he's taken to hiding under my bed and one of the chairs they can't pull him out from under!
I'm glad you got a little break in there... Troy's been in Texas the past four weeks, so when he was home Saturday I got half the day to myself and thought it was heaven : )
Julee,
Every mom needs a break - no matter how they love their kids. You are doing an awesome job!
Post a Comment